Monday, June 8, 2009

Water

The other day I found myself thinking about water and what its deal is. It's really funny to think about it in different terms. Most people see a liquid and think of a free flowing state of matter that fills any container it is put in. People also don't think of something like water being made up of anything. Of course underneath it all everyone knows what water is, just not thinking about it all the time. A liquid is just loosely bound molecules, nothing else. Liquids are made up of the same things solids are. So I was sitting there looking at a drop of water that was not soaking into my pants thinking about a bunch of molecules stacked on top of each other holding together a structure to make this drop of water stay there. Other things come into play like surface tension to keep the droplet in its form. It was fun to turn my world upside down for a second and think of water made up of pieces of things. Give it a shot!

3 comments: